MetroRail runs on 32-miles of existing tracks between Leander and downtown Austin. Passenger trains can reach speeds of up to 60 miles per hour in some areas, and are much quieter and faster than freight trains that also use the line.
Your safety and security are very important to us. Please read these valuable tips so you know what to do, and what to expect, to stay safe.
- Obey all traffic signs and signals, and ALWAYS look both ways and listen for a train when you cross railroad tracks.
- Stay behind the stop line or at least 15 feet from the tracks whenever you're waiting for a train.
- NEVER stop your vehicle on railroad tracks at any time - it's illegal and you will be ticketed.
- If you stall or get stuck, get everyone out immediately and move quickly away from the tracks in the direction the train is coming from. Call your local law enforcement agency for assistance.
- NEVER drive around lowered gates - it's illegal and can be deadly. If the gate is down, the road is considered closed. If you suspect a signal is malfunctioning, call the 1-800 number posted on or near the crossing signal, or your local law enforcement agency.
- NEVER ride your bike on railroad tracks.
- Always look both ways before crossing any tracks.
- MetroRail trains are quiet, so look for flashing headlights and listen for warning bells and horns.
- When crossing the tracks at intersections, cross at an angle to avoid falling or incurring any tire damage.
- Walk your bike in all areas of the train station.
- Cross tracks ONLY at designated pedestrian or roadway crossings, and obey all warning signs and signals. Always stop, look both ways and listen for trains before crossing the tracks.
- Flashing red lights signal that a train is approaching from either direction. NEVER walk around or behind lowered gates at a crossing. Do not cross the tracks until the lights have stopped flashing and it's safe to do so.
- Railroad tracks, trestles, yards and equipment are private property. Trespassers are subject to arrest and fines.
Teaching Your Children About Safety
- Teach your children the importance of crossing the tracks safely. Help them remember "stop, look and listen."
- Hold on to your child when a train approaches and when walking across railroad tracks.
- Skateboarding, rollerblading or biking on rail platforms is unsafe and not permitted.
- Walking or biking along railroad tracks is very dangerous and is considered trespassing.