Employee Benefits

Benefits with CapMetro

Because we know that it'll be an important factor when determining if CapMetro is the place for you, our benefits package is designed to meet the needs of everyone from those beginning their careers to those that are working their last years toward retirement.

Please take the time to review the benefit summaries below. We hope you will choose CapMetro as your next employer.

Depending on their role within the organization, employees are able to work with their manager to adjust to alternative work schedules other than the standard 8-5 or to work remotely.

Employees ride the bus and train for free and are eligible to receive up to two family passes. In addition, employees who participate in the RideShare program pay only half of the monthly fee for this program.

CapMetro's Wellness Program has been recognized by the city of Austin as a model in the community for providing wide-ranging services to employees to help live healthy lifestyles. The program includes:

  • Wellness and fitness center with personal trainers
  • Weight management, nutrition, smoking cessation, massage and health and fitness classes
  • Health risk assessments, biometric blood test, flu shots and customized programs to improve health
  • Financial incentives for weight loss, smoking cessation, physical activity and healthy eating
  • Bike loan program

The Child Care and Learning Center is available to CapMetro employees, contractor employees and community children between the ages of 6 months to 6 years. The rates for employees and contractors are discounted by income. The center is operated by Bright Horizons Family Solutions and supports the standard of excellence established by the National Accreditation Commission for Early Care and Education Programs.

Active, full-time employees are eligible to receive up to $5,250 per year in tuition reimbursement. Courses must be approved in advance and must enhance job performance and employee effectiveness.

  • Spending time with your family and relaxing to refresh is an important aspect of everyone's life. So we offer our employees generous paid holidays, sick leave and vacation time.
  • 2 floating holidays and 1 floating birthday holiday each year
  • 10 paid holidays
  • 8 hours of sick leave per month. Employees may accrue unlimited sick leave with 240 accrued hours paid to employees with 5 years of service, with remaining hours converted to pension credit.
  • 80 hours vacation per year for the first 2 years of employment, increasing thereafter up to a maximum of 240 hours per year. Vacation is accrued immediately and can be taken after 6 months of employment

Planning for your future is not always easy, so we offer employees the opportunity to participate in a 401(k) and/or 457(b) retirement plan. Employees are eligible to participate in the 401(k)  and/or 457(b) plan after completing 30 days of employment. Employees may contribute up to 100 percent of their net income through payroll deduction as long as they remain within the maximum contributions allowed by the IRS. This plan has an auto-enrollment feature.

CapMetro offers a defined benefit pension plan funded by the agency. The benefit at retirement is 1.5 percent of the employees' final average annual salary multiplied by total years of service. Years of service with other governmental entities and public transportation providers can be counted toward vesting service in the plan.

EAP offers free, confidential and professional counseling sessions to employees and family members. The range of services offered, at no charge, include:

  • Problem assessment
  • Short-term counseling for personal, emotional and family problems
  • Referral for financial, legal or social services
  • Qualified assistance for substance abuse problems

Parental leave is provided to assist and support new parents with balancing work and family matters. CapMetro will provide up to three (3) weeks of paid parental leave. CapMetro provides eligible employees with a period of paid time off for activities related to the care and well-being of their newborn, adopted or placed child. Regular full time and part-time employees will have access to parental leave when the employee is the primary /significant caregiver for a new child. This can be paired with other leave, such as FMLA and Short-Term Disability

  • Our Core Medical plan offers an 80/20% percent Co-insurance split, meaning the plan covers 80% of eligible expenses leaving the member responsible for 20% of eligible medical expenses.
  • Our Buy-Up Medical plan offers an 90/10% percent Co-insurance split; the plan covers 90% of eligible expenses leaving the member responsible for 10% of eligible medical expenses.
  • We also offer a High-Deductible Health Plan (HDHP), which is paired with a Health Savings Account to help supplement higher upfront medical expenses. The Health Savings Account allows participants to set aside money on a pre-tax basis, for qualified expenses relative to medical or ancillary health expenditures like dental, vision, prescription drugs, hearing aids, or doctor visits.
  • CapMetro contributes up to $900 each plan year for those enrolled in Employee only coverage, and up to $1800 for employees enrolled in Employee + Spouse or Family coverage, under the HDHP.

Capital Metro will provide a Medicare Supplemental Insurance stipend to all eligible administrative employees of Capital Metro to make retiree healthcare more affordable.

Our dental plan helps employees pay for the costs of dental care for themselves and their family members. The dental program is a passive network self-insured plan. Participants may take advantage of reduced costs when they use a nationwide network of participating providers but also have the option to see providers, not in the network with equal coverage.

Employees may purchase vision coverage at a very reasonable cost. This plan provides coverage for an exam, prescription lenses, frames and contact lenses.

Once you become a CapMetro employee, you'll have the opportunity to set aside money on a pre-tax basis (through payroll deductions) for eligible anticipated out-of-pocket health care and dependent care expenses.

Staff enrolled in the High Deductible Health Plan can contribute to an HSA. Capital Metro contributes $900 for individual and $1800 annually for staff with dependent coverage. This amount is prorated based on effective date of coverage

Because life can be unpredictable and it's vital to be prepared, we offer life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) plans to help provide for the ones you love. Life and AD&D insurance coverage is provided by CapMetro at the level of the employee's annual salary at no charge to the employee. Employees are also eligible to purchase additional life insurance coverage for themselves and their family.

Short-term disability (STD) and long-term disability (LTD) - we understand that sometimes employees might have an unpredictable event occur. Employees who are unable to work due to illness or injury may be eligible for 60 percent of company paid salary continuation.

Long term disability is available for those exhausting short-term disability benefits, upon approval. Long term disability is a company paid benefit. Additional LTD Coverage can be purchased as a buy up option.

There are a variety of additional Voluntary Life Benefits, such as Whole Life Insurance, Voluntary Term Life as well as Child Life Insurance. We also offer Accident Insurance and Critical Illness Coverage as an option. 
We offer an employee discount program that is available to all employees and contractors. Discounts are available for various consumer products, services, and events, including ticket admissions to theme parks, concerts/events, flights, travel arrangements, as well as nationwide retail products.
This plan offers affordable Legal and Identity Theft Protections, such as Legal Consultation and Advice, Court Representation, Identity Consultation and Advice, Identity and Credit Monitoring and so much more.