Code of Conduct
CapMetro's Code of Conduct extends across all vehicle types as well as our stops and transit hubs. Before you ride, please familiarize yourself with these rules and expectations to ensure a safe and comfortable ride for yourself and others.
*COVID-19 Notice: CapMetro recommends customers to wear face masks while on transit vehicles and when at our facilities. Face masks should cover your nose and mouth and attach around the ears. Bandanas and other single-ply fabric coverings do not meet this new requirement and will be prohibited. Learn more about our COVID-19 guidelines.
Safety and Consideration
- Have your pass or cash ready when boarding, and keep your fare handy in case requested by a fare inspector. Customers without a valid fare will be asked to de-board and may result in a fine.
- Priority seating at the front of vehicles is reserved for customers with disabilities and senior citizens. Customers in wheelchairs have priority. Operators may ask you to relocate to another seat. Please accommodate them, even if it means you must stand for your trip.
- Please don't interfere with the operation of a vehicle, including by talking to the operator while the vehicle is in motion.
- Stand behind the white or yellow line while vehicles are in motion.
- Customers are allowed one seat and should avoid taking up more space than allowed. Don't lay down.
- Keep hold of your belongings on your lap, at your feet or in overhead storage spaces. Items may not block aisles, obstruct seats or be left unattended.
- Disruptive behavior is not allowed, including: loud conversation, profanity, insults, threats, horseplay, fighting, inconsiderate cell phone use or playing musical instruments.
- Headphones are required when using all audio and visual devices.
- Feet must be kept off of seats.
- Heads, hands and all other objects must remain inside the vehicle while it is in motion.
- Panhandling and soliciting are not allowed.
- Shirt, pants/shorts/skirt and shoes are required.
- Spitting, urinating, defecating or exposing one's body parts are not allowed.
- Boarding with uncovered health-related open sores and wounds; visible bodily fluids on clothing; or a visible infestation of bedbugs, fleas or lice is not allowed.
- Please don't perform tasks of basic hygiene, like clipping nails or flossing teeth while on board our vehicles
- Please be considerate of customers with chemical sensitivities by limiting use of colognes and perfumes.
- Children younger than 10 must be accompanied by a rider who is 12 years or older.
Bikes, Strollers, Scooters and Pets
- Most buses feature exterior bike racks located at the front of the vehicle. Exceptions include some MetroExpress vehicles, which have storage compartments on the side of the vehicle, and electric buses with compartments at the back of the bus. Only folded bicycles are permitted onboard buses. However, bikes are allowed on MetroRail, and must either be stored in the onboard bike rack or maintained in a standing position by the owner.
- Fold your recreational scooters before boarding the bus or train.
- Children may remain in strollers while on board the bus in the priority seating areas if a parent or guardian maintains control of the stroller. If the priority seating areas are not available, children must be removed from the stroller and the stroller must be collapsed. Riders in wheelchairs or mobility devices have priority for that seating.
- Roller skates, skateboards and other small wheeled recreational devices may not be used while on board vehicles.
- Service animals assisting a rider with a disability and service animals in training are allowed on board our vehicles, but they may not occupy a seat or block the aisle.
- Pets, emotional support and comfort animals are not allowed on CapMetro vehicles.
Food, Beverages and Other Consumption
- Beverages are allowed in spill-proof containers, screw top bottles, or cups with lids. Otherwise, please don't eat or drink on board CapMetro vehicles.
- Smoking tobacco products, including electronic cigarettes or vaporizers, and chewing tobacco are not allowed. Expelling the residue of any tobacco product, including chewing tobacco, is also not allowed.
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages on board and at stops is not allowed. Alcohol must be in its original and sealed container for transport.
Property and Facilities
- Trespassing and loitering at stops, or on CapMetro property and vehicles, is not allowed.
- Vandalism is not allowed, including writing on, removing, marking or defacing CapMetro properties, vehicles and stop amenities.
- Please do not use CapMetro facilities or properties for non-transportation purposes.
- Illegal possession, use, distribution or sale of any controlled substance is not allowed.
- Illegal weapons, explosives, wet cell batteries, flammable/combustible material (gasoline, kerosene or propane) and other hazardous items are not allowed.
- CapMetro is not responsible for lost, stolen or damaged items. Remember to take personal items with you.
- CapMetro staff, including vehicle operators, are not allowed to accept tips or gifts. You may show appreciation with a thank you or by submitting a compliment through the GO Line (512-474-1200).