Because we know that buses and trains can't always take you every mile of your trip, we are always looking for ways to increase your ease of getting around town. Bikes aren't just an eco-friendly transportation alternative; they provide access to Austin that other public transit options just can't. That's why we've introduced MetroBike, a system that helps you get around Austin on two wheels. Our new bike rental program makes planning your complete trip easier than ever. Have a bike of your own? Check out our secure bike shelters to park your bike when you're on the go. Learn more below to get ready to ride!
Austin Bike Rental
Whether you’re a student or commuter, a local or a visitor, we want to help you get where you need to go using CapMetro services from first to last mile. That’s why we’ve introduced MetroBike to our family of transportation services.
By partnering with BCycle (the bike rental service you already know and love!), we’re able to offer you one more way for you to get around town.
- Expanding the BCycle fleet and stations
- Optimizing the system’s first and last mile transit solution
- Improving services and reaching communities outside of the downtown core
- Fully electrifying BCycle’s fleet
Reserving your bike
- Two apps, more options To reserve your MetroBike, we recommend downloading both the CapMetro App and the BCycle app. This will allow you to choose from a wider offering of bike passes and access all the reservation information you need while on the go. CapMetro’s app options include bundled bike & public transit day passes and 31-day passes while BCycle’s app allows you to pay-as-you-ride or purchase a membership for a day, weekend, month or year.
- Book and go Once you have selected the pass that’s right for you, simply arrive at your nearest MetroBike docking station and retrieve your reserved bike.
- Color coding When choosing your bike, note that e-bikes are painted white while regular traditional bikes are painted red and grey.
- With 75 bike stations (and growing!), use this map to find the location nearest you.
- All rides, regardless of your pass or membership level, are 60 minutes in length. Booked your bike for the day? You will need to return your bike to a dock within 60 minutes to avoid additional charges. After you’ve docked, feel free to begin a new ride using your same day pass. The clock will automatically restart once your bike has been docked.
- Any ride lasting longer than 60 minutes will be charged $4/30 minutes.
How to Ride
- To unlock bikes Enter the dock number into your BCycle app and pull a bike from the dock.
- To lock bikes Push bike into dock. Remember that bikes must be docked every 60 minutes, no matter your pass type or membership level, to avoid additional fees.
- For e-bikes: Activate electric assist Check the battery level before unlocking a bike.
- To adjust the seat Release the seat post clamp to adjust your seat height, then tighten the clamp.
- Be safe Always wear a helmet when riding a MetroBike.
- Be smart Follow traffic laws and use bike lanes when available.
Reserving your MetroBike is as easy as purchasing any other service pass using the CapMetro App. Plus, soon you will be able to buy your bike and bus or rail passes as a bundle to help you navigate each phase of your trip. Stay tuned for updates coming soon to your app!
Frequently asked questions
BCycle offers discounted memberships to University of Texas at Austin and Huston-Tilltotson University students and staff. Click here for more info and to apply for your discounted membership.
While kids do ride free on many CapMetro services, MetroBike is not one of them.
Bringing your own bike? Park it safely!
- NO ANNUAL FEE!
- You don't feel like standing with your bike or being crowded.
- You want to leave your bike in a secure facility.
- You know a train or bus is going to have its racks filled.
- You don't want to leave your bike exposed to the sun or rain.
- You want a break from lugging your bike back and forth to work.
- Secured, card key access
- Fully enclosed bicycle parking
- Long open hours: 5 a.m.-2:30 a.m., 7 days a week
- 24-hour camera surveillance
- Seating for changing shoes, etc.
- An air pump, work stand and tools for minor bike repairs
- Kramer Station
- Lakeline Station
- MLK Station
- Plaza Saltillo Station
- Highland Station
- Tech Ridge Park & Ride
- South Congress Transit Center