Our bike-on-bus rules are very simple. If you own a folded bike, fold it up and bring it with you on the bus. All other bikes go on exterior racks attached to the front of our Local and MetroRapid buses. Each rack can hold up to 3 bikes with 20" wheels or electric bikes under 55 pounds. Spaces are on a first-come, first-served basis. When you arrive at your destination, let the operator know you will be removing a bike from the rack. MetroExpress buses don't have bike racks, but we do have space for 2 bikes in the rear storage compartment. Please ask the bus operator to open the compartment for you.
Here are some more helpful tips for loading and unloading your bike on our buses.
BCycle Connecting to transit is easy with Austin BCycle. And now, our Trip Planner online and through the CapMetro App includes BCycle options that will make it even easier.
Parking your bike Maybe you only want to take your bike part of the way. No problem. We offer free bike racks at most bus stops, stations and Park & Rides on a first-come, first-served basis. Capital Metro also has 7 electronic card-accessed and enclosed MetroBike Shelters. You can find them at popular MetroRail stations and major transit centers. To start using one, register for a MetroBike Card.
Safety tips Can humans, bikes and buses co-exist peacefully in an urban environment? Yes, if everyone follows these simple safety rules:
- Approach the bus from the curbside.
- Don't wait in the street with your bike.
- Load and unload your bike directly in front of the bus or from the curb.
- Use bike racks at your own risk. We aren't responsible for personal injury, property damage or loss resulting from the use of our racks.
- Visit the League of American Bicyclists for smart cycling tips.
The more you know ...
- No gas-powered bikes or mopeds are allowed on bike racks.
- Carrying your electric bike battery on board is A-OK.
- If you leave your bike on the bus, call Lost & Found at 512-389-7454.
- Bikes left on a bus or at our facilities for 10 days are considered abandoned and will be donated.