CapMetro Celebrates 35 Years of Serving the Central Texas Community
AUSTIN, Texas – This July, Capital Metro marks its 35th anniversary. In 1985, Austin voters went to the ballot and approved bringing transit services to the greater Austin area — our community created CapMetro. Later, voters returned to the ballots and ten years ago CapMetro started MetroRail — again, our community invested in CapMetro. This anniversary, we’re asking our community to imagine what we can do together in the next 35 years.
“This celebration will serve our springboard while we plan for what we hope to accomplish in the future,” said CapMetro CEO/President Randy Clarke. “That is better connecting our community and providing even more transit options through Project Connect.
Capital Metro’s impact and successes reach far beyond the agency itself, it’s dependent on its partners and community members. In 35 years, we have accomplished a lot together, to highlight a few:
- Provided more than 1 billion rides to Central Texans.
- Became the first transportation authority in Texas, and one of the first in the nation, to be 100% accessible to people with disabilities.
- Introduced the first Express bus routes between Austin and surrounding communities.
- Launched MetroRapid service along two of Austin’s busiest corridors.
- Implemented Cap Remap, the biggest service change in CapMetro history. The change created a simpler, more direct bus network with more frequent routes.
- Implemented free fares for K-12 students in Central Texas.
- Brought the first electric buses to Central Texas and integrated clean diesel buses into the service fleet.
Launched the Pickup app for customers to request on-demand transit service.
CapMetro thanks the Central Texas community for its continued support and commitment to our agency. We look forward to what the next 35 years will bring as we grow and expand together with our community.
# # #
Julie Garcia, 936-591-7505