One-Year Anniversary of Project Connect Vote
Comprehensive transit program’s first Annual Management Report details milestones, progress and next steps
AUSTIN, Texas (November 3, 2021) – This week marks the one-year anniversary of the historic passage of Project Connect by Austin voters in the 2020 primary election.
In commemoration of the anniversary, CapMetro, Austin Transit Partnership and the City of Austin released the first Annual Project Connect Management Report. The report details Project Connect’s progress over the year, including a series of significant milestones related to the program’s values of equity, sustainability and innovation.
Through the approved referendum in November 2020, CapMetro and the City of Austin came together to form the Austin Transit Partnership, which continues to grow to meet the needs of program implementation. In the last year, the agency has formed advisory committees, engaged with community members on multiple design plans, entered into multiple interlocal agreements, and approved budgets. MetroRapid and new rail projects have also made major advancements in the design and federal processes.
Specific milestones from the Project Connect Annual Management Report include the following:
- Electric bus procurement – The vision of Project Connect to convert to a zero-emission bus fleet took a major step forward when CapMetro placed the largest order of electric transit buses in the United States in September 2021.
- Federal funding – Expo and Pleasant Valley MetroRapid published in President Biden’s FY22 Annual Report on Funding Recommendations.
- FTA endorsement – Orange and Blue Lines were granted entry into Project Development by the Federal Transit Administration.
- Red Line Improvements – A kickoff ceremony was held in September 2021 for construction of additional rail track between Lakeline Station and Leander to establish a zone.
- for passing trains. This will enable increased service reliability and improved customer experience for the entire Red Line.
- New Pickup zones – Launched three new zones in 2021, now serving the communities of North Oak Hill, South Menchaca, Dessau, Pflugerville, Lago Vista, Leander, Manor, East Austin, Walnut Creek, Northeast Austin and Exposition.
To learn more about Project Connect’s milestones, progress and future plans, read the full Annual Management Report.
# # #