Wheelchair and Scooter Boarding
All of our buses and trains provide accessibility for riders with disabilities. If you use a wheelchair or other mobility device and need assistance, our operators can help. If you'd like to practice using the ramp or securing your chair, schedule an appointment by calling our Travel Training department at 512-369-6083.
We're here for you
If you have suggestions or comments about our service, contact our Customer Service GO Line at 512-474-1200.
Here's how to board a bus with a wheelchair or scooter at any of our stops:
- Wait for the bus operator to lower the ramp to the ground. Ride up the ramp.
- Once on the bus, pay the fare at the farebox. If you need help accessing the farebox, the bus operator can assist you.
- Proceed to one of the two securement areas reserved for riders who use wheelchairs or other mobility devices.
- In the securement area, lock your device's brakes or, if you have a power chair or scooter, turn it off after the operator has secured your chair. Each securement area has a rider lap belt and shoulder belt. The bus operator will offer to secure you with either or both of these belts.
- Use the conveniently located button to alert the bus operator when your stop is approaching. If you're unable to operate the button or would prefer to talk with the bus operator, just tell him or her where you'd like to get off.
Here's how to exit a bus:
- At your requested stop, the bus operator will remove all securement straps and belts.
- Proceed to the ramp.
- The bus operator will lower the ramp to the sidewalk.
- Move away from the ramp as soon as you're on the sidewalk.
A few of the buses in our fleet have lifts rather than ramps. Here's how to get on board a bus with a lift:
- When the bus operator lowers the lift platform to the ground, slowly back your device onto the lift.
- Once on board the lift, lock your chair's brakes or turn off the power. Hold on to the lift's handrail, and let the bus operator know when you're ready to be lifted onto the bus.
- Proceed to one of the securement areas.
- The bus operator will secure your wheelchair or scooter and offer to secure you with belts. Lock your brakes or turn off the power after the operator has secured your chair.
- As you approach your stop, use the conveniently located button to alert the bus operator that you would like to get off, or tell the operator where you'd like to exit the vehicle.
Here's how to get off a bus using a lift:
- Let the bus operator release all securements and belts.
- Move forward onto the lift platform and set your device's brakes or turn off the power.
- Hold on to the lift's handrail and let the bus operator know when you're ready to have the lift lowered.
- When the platform barrier opens, exit the platform and move away from the lift as soon as you're on the sidewalk.
MetroRail trains and station platforms offer level boarding. To board one of our trains:
- Proceed to the seating area nearest the doors. These are reserved for seniors, people with disabilities and people with wheelchairs or scooters.
- Lock your brakes or turn your device off.
- Enjoy the ride!
If you use a cane, crutches, walker, service animal or other mobility device, we offer these additional services:
- Our bus operators can pull close to the curb to make it easier for you to get on and off the bus.
- Our bus operators can give you extra time and assistance, if needed.
- If you need the bus to be lowered so you can step onto the bus more easily, ask the bus operator to help by “kneeling” the bus. Upon request, the bus operator will lower the ramp.